Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's All In There!


I was so comforted this morning as I read through Psalm 119:169-176. It reminded me that the Word of God affects the mind (v.169), the mouth (vv.171-172), the "will" (v.173), and the emotions (v.174) and conscience (v.176).

As I went back to discover a little more about Psalm 119 (I was struck this morning by its length!!), I noticed that this Psalm really conveys the idea that the Word of God (using 10 different terms to refer to it, terms like "law" (instruction or revelation) and testimonies (or precepts)), contains everything man needs to know.

Wow, I found that comforting!!!

In whatever state I find myself, I would like to cling to God's word. It makes us wise and pure (119:97-104).

All earthly things are limited, but His Word is infinite. (119:96).

I would like to have in my heart the awe, joy, love, and praise for God's Word the psalmist expresses. (119:161-168)

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV) All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.


As a final note, I have often come across the argument that man has changed the Bible for his own purposes throughout history...that we can't really trust it in its form today. But, I serve an absolutely sovereign God and I believe that He knew exactly what form we would have for believers today. He is not controlled by any pope or bishop or by the evil whims of man. He knew it all before it happened and He knew we would have it exactly as it is today. I am able to trust in His word. His spirit has caused that in me. And for that, I am eternally thankful. I am thankful I serve a God who is sovereign.

No comments:

Post a Comment